The Vision and Mission of the institution emphasis on empowering women which is the need of the society and is one of the trust areas of the Institution. This is achieved through wholesome development and transformation of students from within to become transcendental through Perseverance, Performance and Progress. The faculty discharges their duties with a vision to create a holistic educational atmosphere which inculcates moral values and empower them to maximize their achievements in their career, social & family life.
To provide wholesome and holistic development, students’ needs and capabilities are recognized and based on that the institution imparts education apart from regular curriculum by
- Augmenting Employability
- Enhancing the communication skill
- Developing civic and social responsibility
Entrepreneurship and the need for developing the requisite entrepreneurial skills have gained importance to redress the un-employability.
The college has made mandatory for all the 1st year students to take empowerment programme of their choice which nurtures the spirit of entrepreneurship and enables the students’ knowledge, skills and techniques which in turn helps them in their personal and social growth.
In 2016 – 2017, the college had a tie up with Ooviyaas School of Design and Fine Arts to provide Central Govt. Certified Courses namely Assistant Counsellor, Front Office Management and Beauty Therapy etc. Two-Wheeler and Four-Wheeler driving classes with License were also organized for the students and staff.
In 2019 – 2020, the college went into a tie up with Computer Software Institute of Technologies and Certificate course by National Council of Vocational Training and Education (MHRD) were offered namely 3D Animation, Small Scale Industries (Soap and Detergent Making) etc.
Even during the pandemic period, in the academic year 2020-2021, certificate courses by NCVTE were offered through online mode.
An ED-Wing Upadhi was incepted in 2019 wherein the students’ put stalls after the college hours and had a hand on experience.
In the 2020 – 2021, the institution became member of Institution’s Innovation Council of MHRD and conducted various programmes to encourage, inspire and nurture student ideas and promote innovation.
The inclusion of empowerment programme is one of the prime Mission of the institution to provide additional vocational education and empower the girls to become self-employed and economically independent.
Enhancing Communication Skills
The importance of communication skill is a prerequisite for professionals, in all walks of life.The students come from diverse background and Tamil medium schools. The college identified their weakness and need in communication skills. To all the 2nd year students ‘Diploma in Communication Skills Development’ by National Centre for Vocational and Technical Educational (NCVTE) (MHRD) is offered. At the end of the course the students are subjected to examination. The course fee is sponsored by the Management.
In addition to diploma courses on every working day 6 minutes from each major and allied period is allotted for enhancing the communication skill wherein students have to talk in English for a minute on any topic.
Developing Civic and Social Responsibility
Next to home it is the educational institution that enhances the civic engagement of the students. The institution engages the students in various community service activities through different clubs thus developing their civic and social responsibility and fosters a sense of commitment to community.
In the past 5 years the Institution received awards and appreciation for its Civic and Social Responsibility.
- Appreciation for philanthropic Blood Donation Camp by Indian Red Cross Society Tamil Nadu in 2017.
- Karuna Club Merit Award 2016 – 2017.
- Certificate of Appreciation ‘India – Sri Lanka’ Youth Exchange by Audacious Dream Foundation in 2018.
- Award of Appreciation for having organized highest blood donation camps from Indian Red Cross Society Tamil Nadu in 2019.
- Rotaract Club received Outstanding Innovation Project Award.
The institution in association with MGNCRE, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India incepted a Rural Entrepreneurship cell and Social Entrepreneurship cell in the academic year 2020-2021. The role of the members was to perform the activities of SESREC(Social Entrepreneurship, Swachhta & Rural Engagement Cell)
The institution received Beat Covid Campaign recognition from MGNCRE.
During Covid-19 pandemic the institution under management of SKPD & Charities started Vasavi Anna Prasadam Centre for Covid patients. The food was distributed by the administrative staff of the institution.
The institution in collaboration with Greater Chennai Corporation conducted Vaccination Camp continuously and the students counseled elderly people and Covid patients over the phone during the Lockdown period.
Other predominant activities are
- Adopted Thiruputkuzhi Village near Kanchipuram and conducts programs like Eye and Dental Camp, Physiotherapy Camp, Veterinary Camp. Every year nearly 350 spectacles were distributed and free eye surgery is done for villagers.
- In 2018, Karuna Club initiated ‘Feed the Need’ project where food packets are distributed to the needy people.
- In 2019, the students donated Rs. 70,000/- to farmers and Rs. 70, 000/- to weavers of Thiruputkuzhi.
- Adoption of Sarvodhaya Girls Hostel wherein students and faculties extend their knowledge service
- The students sensitized the public through various activities by participating in 44th, 45th and 46th Tamil Nadu tourism Trade fair and received 1st Place and a cash prize of Rs.10, 000/- from Department of Tourism Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
- In the Covid-19 pandemic period the teaching and non-teaching staff of the institution contributed one day salary to the Chief Minister Relief Fund.
- Pongal, the festival of farmers is celebrated in a traditional way to fill the gap between the rural and urban people and teaches the significance of the festival and cultural values to the students. Every year kids from different homes like Balavikar Mentally challenged home, guild of service orphanage is invited and honored with gifts. People involved in essential service like Doctors, Corporation Workers, Postal Departments and Traffic Police are honored. Traditional Competitions are organized. Even during the pandemic Pongal was celebrated following the pandemic SOP.
We at SKPC ensure quality education for women and also believe that education fosters the enlightenment, empowerment and emancipation of women and this is our most distinctive feature.
Institutional Distinctiveness for 2019-2020
To inculcate the Indian traditional and cultural values among the students Pongal and Navarathri is celebrated in grand manner. In the academic year 2019-2020 the pongal celebration was inaugurated by Actress Ms. Gayathri Raguram. The college premises depicted the life of Indian village in a miniature form. The farmers and weavers from Thirupukuzhi were honored and students donated Rs. 70, 000/- to each of them (Farmers and Weavers). Kids from Balavikar Mentally challenged home ‘and representatives from TCS, Chennai National Hospital, Traffic Police and Post Office were invited and honoured. Competitions and Folk Dances were organized. During ‘Navarathri’ students gave Cultural performance at Sri Kanyaka Parameswari Temple and on the last day of Navarathri participated in Parvattai. The SKPC staff and students extend their knowledge service to fulfill the needs and requirements of the girls belonging to SRS Sarvodhaya Girls Hostel who are from the poorest strata of society. so that they will be able to face the Global Challenges. The activities for the Sarvodhaya girls are: Tuitions, skill training programme, awareness programme, counselling and career guidance. This is exclusively taken as an institutional social responsibility. Six days orientation programme is conducted in the beginning of the academic year. As communication is a continuous process, on every working day 6 minutes from each major and allied period is allotted for enhancing the communication skill wherein students have to talk in English for a minute on any topic. Apart from this MHRD certified Communication skills certificate course is provided to all the second year students. FEED THE NEED project was initiated wherein weekly once food packets are distributed to the needy people. In random the needy people who cannot even afford to earn and make their living due to physical and mental challenges are identified and the food packets are distributed to them by the students. The food for this purpose is prepared in the temple Anna Chatram. Identifying the needy is a real time constrain. Students find difficulty during distribution as the food packets are demanded by people who actually don’t need it. (ex. auto drivers , rickshaw pullers), in spite of such difficulties the students take full effort to reach the real destitute who are in the road sides. Precautionary observations are made in identifying the needy. In a week approximately 85 food packets are distributed. Under Project Drop a Fruit Biscuits, Every Friday students and staff drop a fruit and biscuit in a box which is donated to an orphanages and Old Age Home.